Friday, March 9, 2012

New Directions in Bits and Pieces


on the "drawing board", work in progress


I know that change and new direction is healthy for any artist. For me, art and the art-making I do is all about my view of the world around me. It would certainly be boring if "the view" never changed.
Any artist who has ever tried to "ride the wave" of past masterpieces knows that a fresh perspective of the subject leads to growth and success. Some people love change...my mom was one who moved the furniture in our home just about weekly. Walking in the dark was definitely not safe. I very rarely, "move the furniture". Change for change-sake...is dumb.
I am however, very excited about all the "changes" and exploration going on in my art studio. I love texture, it has been a part of my art for years; working on canvases and board textured with gesso and collaged elements. After many years of collecting bits and pieces of the treasures that capture my attention I am venturing into more mixed media. I just know for sure, that I want to be excited every day to get to my studio and work.
I like complications...how to take all those bits and pieces and share my vision of the subject...or lack of subject. It is not easy...pulling so many possibilites together in a cohesive and artful way. That would be boring.
Stay-tuned...I am working to finish some new pieces. I hope they will convey my excitement and passions for the "treasures" that are here for our taking, everyday.

No comments: